omega 3 to mercury in fish

omega 3 to mercury in fish

Here is a great graphic from The Washington Post

9 Responses to “omega 3 to mercury in fish”

1. Tylus Kimber #

Thank you for your informative website on omega 3 and 6 and mercury polution. Do you think the mercury polution is getting worse?

June 25, 2012 at 4:20 am
    • Dane #

Although mercury is a pollutant and should be avoided when possible, people should look more into the affects selenium has on mercury. Mercury neutralizes it by sticking to selenium. Often people with high mercury intake are sick only because they have low usable selenium. You should check the selenium levels in fish as well because of this.

August 13, 2012 at 10:10 pm
  2. Suzanne #

There are a few different types of Mackerel on the chart with quite different mercury levels – how do you know which one you are buying?

November 26, 2012 at 5:24 pm
    • Sorry – I don’t know!

November 26, 2012 at 5:25 pm
      • Kirsty Wilmot #

Hi Suzanne. Ask the fishmonger if its fresh or check the can if tinned. I chose mackerel very carefully as I am pregnant and usually vegetarian, but really needing the Omega 3. Our supermarkets here in the UK are pretty good with labelling due to lots of sustainable fish campaigns. I’m sure providence is becoming more important in the US too so if you don’t know, do ask. Even if it’s supermarket bought, you can ring the packer and find out – definitely worth the hassle I think 🙂

December 6, 2012 at 3:36 am
  3. Mark #

The methylmercury risk data came from real fish & whalemeat consumption. The fish had both methylmercury and selenium. While selenium may help, it doesn’t completely counteract methylmercury’s toxicity. Best advice is to seek out low-mercury fish, but don’t avoid fish altogether. For women & children, this advice is particularly true. Men–well, let’s face it, we don’t have much to protect, so the occasional high-mercury fish isn’t gonna kill us. 😉

November 28, 2012 at 11:53 am
  4. Mark #

Agree. Nice graphic. Did you make this for the Washington Post?

November 28, 2012 at 11:54 am