13 responses

1. G.C.
    May 1, 2011

Hi everyone,

I have a similar story to tell.

I suffer from SLE, however, it has gone into remission since I have been eating a high-fat, moderate-protein diet, with no grains, legumes or dairy at all. I am also a competitive powerlifter and I have no problems with exertion at all anymore.

Now, I have one concern.

My lifestyle changes have obviously expressed my genes favourably towards my current state. However, will SLE be passed down to my children, when I do decide to have them?

Thanks.

• julianne
      May 1, 2011

I haven’t looked at the chances of passing on the SLE gene, a genetic expert would be the person to talk to. It certainly got passed down in my family, although mine is a very mild version, and not expressed at all with paleo eating. I do have a couple of other issues often related, Hashimotos and Raynauds, neither a real problem though. The interesting thing I think is that the gene expression is because of our current diet, if we started life as hunter gatherers we may never have realised we had this genetic disease. It is only because our diet causes the expression of it. If your children eat paleo since birth – it might never be an issue for them.

• Kris
      November 12, 2014

Hi! I’m Kris and I have lupus, celiac and hashimotos thyroid. I’ve never been super heavy and always athletic- but I was having trouble keeping my weight up after a serious bout of hyperthyroid and suffering from lupus rashes all over daily. I have been paleo for three years and a year ago started crossfit. I stopped having rashes within a month and my ANA is now normal and my WBC has normalized. Hmmm? I will never stop doing crossfit I totally believe that this and my paleo lifestyle has “cured” me. I only take thyroid medication now. Anyone else?

• Julianne
        November 12, 2014

Hi Kris, your improvements mirror mine. Although never officially diagnosed with Lupus, I suffered from joint swelling (fluid in my knees, stiff sore neck, and jaw joints) since I was 18. My mother who has the same symptoms does have Lupus. I had a weak positive ANA at the time (1:64). When I switched to paleo in 2009 my joints problems resolved. My hashimotos which was diagnosed in 2010 is controlled well on thyroxine. I also have a type of eczema on my hands which stays away as long as I don’t have gluten or too much dairy or nuts. I haven’t had my ANA tested since, but could be a good idea. Thanks for sharing your improvements. I was doing crossfit but had to stop when niggles kept coming back, however I still do some Crossfit type exercise and continue to lift weights.

2. miriam
    May 5, 2011

How long does it take to see results: no pain, no inflamation, and negative ,lupus,lab results by using this diet?

• julianne
      May 5, 2011

My mother found her lupus symptoms reduced in the first 3 weeks. I’m not sure how others progress. If you do try it out – please keep in touch and let me know how you go. Once you start paleo eating you may go through an adjustment period of 2 – 4 weeks where you can sometimes feel worse before you feel better.

3. JA
    October 21, 2011

I started with the paleo diet 1 1/2 months ago after a chance reading of Robb Wolf’s book while visiting friends. I thought my only health concerns were high BP (discovered 1 year before) and high cortisol levels (discovered, while trying to determine what caused the high BP, 1 month before). Both of these conditions were addressed in the book with the promise that they could be diminished by following the paleo diet. So I immediately begun the diet hoping to avoid any medical treatment. I lost about 1kg every week and was immediately pleased with the results. Even though I wasn’t overweight, I knew that losing about 5kg would make me more comfortable in my own skin so I continued with the eating plan hoping it was doing as much good to my health.
    This week I was diagnosed with SLE. My doctors have called it low-activity SLE. My kidneys have been damaged by the disease (75% function still avail) but I do not have any other symptoms – no joint pain, no skin issues. I used to suffer from terrrible headaches but since using my high BP medication (the only drug I’ve decided to take) that hasn’t been an issue at all. Now, my doc wants me to start a low dosage (8mg/day) course of cortico-steroids to reduce the inflammation in my kidneys. I recognise the importance of reducing the inflammation (prevent further permanent damage) but I’m particualry concerned by the side-effects of the drug and am considering holding off medical treatment for a while in the hopes that the diet will help reduce inflammation instead.
    I’m interested to hear if anyone has attempted this (with specific reference to organ damage) and whether they’ve experienced a positive outcome?
    I’ve taken my paleo diet “to the next level” and excluded eggs and nightshade vegetables. I hope it has the sought after effect!

4. Lorraine
    May 2, 2012

Hi, do you find Paleo diet helps discoid lupus flare ups? I keep reading conflicting info out there….alot say avoid animal protein and go vegetarian. But thinking it is our hormone anitbiotic animal protein that is out there that’s the issue, if you buy grass fed organic are you good? Then I read egg whites are bad too. But Paleo sounds reasonable as a solution as it brings us back to non processed food which in my mind seems to be the issue causing alot of our increase in disease. Any feedback is appreciated…very confused.

• Julianne
      May 2, 2012

I’ve looked around to see why there is a recommendation to avoid animal protein. As far as I can see (altough I haven’t had an extensive look) it is because of a supposed link to inflammation and because it has saturated fat. Do you have any particular links with research that give reasons for avoiding animal protein.

Some of the theories are outdated. Saturated fat is now seen as fairly neutral. I’ll write more in a blog post about protein. But I’d use the auto-immune paleo diet rules. See blog posts under the auto-immune category.

• Cassie
        March 17, 2014

I think the ‘research’ Lorraine was referring to doesn’t refer to grass fed pastured protein. It’s research based on conventional meat in which has been raised on grains including GMO and soy- nasties that cause inflammation. Apparently these nasties then come through in the meat/fat as well as all the other toxins the livestock are exposed to. Theoretically then grass fed pastured meat should be the opposite. (I’m sorry I’m unsure of the reference for this, it may have been a recent Chris Kressler blog post)

With regards to egg white- apparently some cealiacs have problems with the egg white of conventional/grain fed chickens but don’t have problems with pastured eggs. I heard this in one of the ‘Paleo View’ podcasts- it was the personal experience of one of the presenters.
        Hopefully that helps.
        X

5. Cassie
    March 17, 2014

Hi. I’m literally crying reading this profile. I too had ITP as a teen, though is was 11 at the time. I was hospitalized as I had no platelets and give a choice between splenectomy or chemotherapy. I chose splenectomy- which worked though not as quickly as the doctors had wanted.
    Then when I was 19 and studying nursing at uni I was diagnosed with SLE after a month of crippling arthritis and myalgia. That was 11 years ago.
    I have now been slowly transitioning to a paleo lifestyle for about two months now. It has been slow transition as I am currently breastfeeding my second baby and want to avoid breast refusal because of a sudden change in diet. I haven’t seen a big improvement in my symptoms as of yet- I’ve just returned to work as an ICU nurse, shift work is a killer! I am anticipating the day I can wean off my nasty medications for good. For now I have lost several kilos and feel mentally well. I also have energy to burn.

6. Michele
    November 4, 2014

Has anyone had success with the Paleo diet and treating cutaneous lupus? No other signs of lupus except for one annular rash on the cheek for my 8 year old :(. All bloodwork is normal, negative ANA, Anti-rho and Anti-sm all normal too. Let me know if anyone eradicated their skin involvement with the Paleo diet. I would greatly appreciate it :).

• Julianne
      November 4, 2014

Here is a good series of articles on lupus and paleo http://www.paleoplan.com/2014/10-15/demystifying-lupus-part-1/
      I dont know of anyone personally – but all auto-immune diseases have a similar pattern of issues – gut permeability, genetic susceptibility, an antigen trigger, so the same treatment is at the heart. Deal to or get rid of antigen (e.g gluten in many cases like celiac and hashimotos) heal the gut – – take out irritating foods, correct gut bacteria, etc.
      A good book to read is Sarah Balantynes. the Paleo approach.
      It is worth a try