13 responses

1. Leonie
    November 20, 2012

Hi!
    Thanks for this post!
    I am very very low on Vitamin D and Im living in Brisbane (the Sunshine State!)..but am a Kiwi.
    My doctor has me on 10,000 units a day of Vit D at the moment.
    I have been eating Paleo autoimmune for the past two months… such an answer to my prayers for my poor leaky gut, coeliacs and graves disease.
    I would love to go back to study nutrition and work in this area!

2. Cassiel
    November 20, 2012

I’m so happy to have posts relevant to the Southern Hemisphere! Please keep ’em coming! 😉 Not that I mind reading Northern Hemisphere posts about summer in July, because I can always use them when the time is right… but it IS nice to read “summer” posts when it really is summer. (I’m in rural NSW, Australia.)

We recently moved rural, and now actually have a backyard instead of living in an apartment, and it is really nice to be able to step out into the yard at midday and get a little sun! We often take our (paleo) lunch out there to eat while we get our Vitamin D. It’s only been a little over a month so I can hardly say if it’s actually made any difference yet, but it really helps mentally — being able to soak up that sunlight in the middle of each day helps me feel more vibrant and with-it.

I come from Irish/English/German stock, so I’m white as fishbelly and can only tolerate a little sun without burning, but it’s nice to get it! Also, I’ve noticed that since I went paleo (about a year and a half ago?) it takes longer for me to burn than it used to. I wonder if there’s any documentation out there about that?

3. George @ the High Fat hep C Diet
    November 21, 2012

I’ve learned to use sunblock on my hands while driving in summer. I’ll get the invisible zinc.
    Taking higher vitamin D was really something that changed my life; I was falling sick with colds and flu every few weeks, had a brush with pneumonia – I was taking about 3,000iu including cod liver oil (I’m thinking now the fish oil wasn’t helping) when Karen from Glen Eden Good Health said – “You need MORE vitamin D! Try 10,000iu”.
    Lo and behold, she was right, and in the year and more since then I’ve had one short cold.
    I also felt stronger, pain-free, got fitter, my nerves settled, I got more done, like it really is a hormone. I still take 10,000 once or twice a week now, if the sun isn’t shining.

• Honora
      November 21, 2012

I took a bottle of the Green Pastures brand “Blue Ice” butter oil/fermented cod liver oil over 2 months (April, May). The result? My vit D level dropped from 35 nmol/L down to an even more appalling 30 nmol/L. Not impressed. I suspect it was the vitamin A in the mix that was the culprit. I’ve pretty much figured I need 5,000i.u. of Vit D3 a day as 1,750i.u. (the standard prescribed dose) gets it up to about 65nmol/L. The vitamin D council say it really needs to be above 75nmol/L to do the trick and I’d like it to be nudging 150nmol/L. I’ve worked out that here in Chch we get no UVB after March 15 until Sept 30 as the sun needs to be 50 degrees above the horizon to allow UVB penetrate to ground level.

• Julianne
        November 22, 2012

I think that we get too much vit A with codliver oil, and this can interfere with the Vit D. I prefer to take a little codliver oil and a decent amount of vit D and fish oil omega 3

4. ecobabe
    November 22, 2012

I have such a problem with the general public out there recommending that “we all need more direct sunshine” it pisses me off incredibly. I have had 2 x melanomas removed, countless BCCs and have just undergone treatment for my whole face and chest for pre-cancerous cells. All of these are the direct result of sun damage. I am loathe to spend any time in the sun due to the existing level of sun damage I have. I’m 42 and of Blitey descent :) I use Invisible Zinc as my daily sunscreen on my face and back of hands. For me the idea of exposing my body between 10am – 2pm just for a short period of time sends shivers of fear up my spine. I think I will consider exposing my least damaged areas, ie my torso and upper thighs whilst keep my face completely out of the sun.
    Sorry if that came across poorly, What I mean is that I like your post because it contains information about UVA and UVB and some safety guidelines. What does piss me of and is making me very tired is every Tom, Dick and Harry telling me that I shouldn’t wear a hat all the time, “don’t we know that Australia’s gripped by a Vit D deficiency” and also that I should allow my children to get some sun on their skin to “toughen their skin up”. There are raw foodies, Paleos, GAPS and other eaters galore out there prosletysing in their blogs that we need more direct sun, but your the first to do it with information and advise ‘safe’ sunning – my dermatologist would argue that there’s no such thing.

Thanks for your blog, I really enjoy it.

5. Julianne
    November 22, 2012

I can understand your reluctance to lie in the sun. If I was in your position I would probably stick to vitamin D supplement. Plus a high antioxidant / plant diet to keep skin more resiliant to sun damage. I would also limit damaged fats and eat oily fish or take only good quality fish oil for the omega 3 – which supresses cancer cells, and limit omega 6 which can promote cancer growth.

6. ecobabe
    November 22, 2012

Thanks for your feedback on my poorly written comment! I will do some research on dietary improvements.

7. Kristopher Cleary
    November 24, 2012

Great article Julianne!

This is a real eye-opener. I tend to be one of those people who sun bake before 11 and after 2. ‘Never sunbake when your shadow is shorter than your height’ was the advice I adhered to.

What you’re saying has really got me thinking.

I’m currently in Asia and winter looks like it has arrived early – hardly any Sun recently. Time to hit the Vit D supplements.

Thanks for a great post.

Kristopher

8. Mirkomil
    August 25, 2014

Hello, i have severe viatmin d3 deficiency.If I have time in weekend i get sunbath near the river.I want to stay i get sunbath for 2 or 2,5 hours but unfortunately my skin does not change color. I am fair skin.I am perplexed.If other get sunbath for 2 hours their skins will be burnt.

9. Maharshi
    March 30, 2015

i am Vitamin D deficient….6.3 mg/ml from India.
    i have started sunbathe in early morning at 6 am to 7:30 am,
    Is it correct way to get vitamin D ? ?
    How many days i have to take sunbathe to get sufficient level of vitamin D ?

• Julianne
      March 31, 2015

You need to get out in the sun when it is high in the sky and expose as much skin as possible – around midday is best. You wont get much vit D early in the morning. With levels that low – I’d suggest taking a supplement, you can get them prescribed from your doctor